Friday, December 17, 2010
Saturday, November 20, 2010
Sunday, October 31, 2010
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Filmed on location at Kitchen Studios in New York City for DISfunkshion Magazine.
Filmed and edited by Kat Hennessey.
Photography by Zack DeZon
Assistant Hair and Make Up by Jen Paelmo
Models Provided by Major Model Management
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Friday, August 20, 2010
Monday, August 9, 2010
Monday, July 26, 2010
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Monday, June 28, 2010
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Preparing my makeup kit for Living Local's Glam Goddess' Makeover Debut! We filmed today at the lovely Salon Blanc in Honolulu, Hawaii. I can't post pictures yet of our winner, Kehau... but I will tell you, this experience was one of the most rewarding makeovers I've ever done. When I handed Kehau the mirror so she could take her first look at her new makeover, there was a moment of silence before she burst into tears of joy... that had the whole Glam Team getting teary-eyed as well. It's moments like these that really strengthen my love for what I do and the people I'm blessed to work with.
Thursday, April 22, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
P: (212) 852-0534
E: HYPERLINK "mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org" email@example.com
GUESS by Marciano & Modern Luxury Hawai‘i magazine Celebrate a Night of Spring Fashion
Teaming up to Support the Pure Beauty Project
New York, NY – April 23, 2010 - GUESS by Marciano, the fashion forward lifestyle brand famous for its trendsetting styles, and Modern Luxury Hawai‘i magazine, are thrilled to be celebrating an exciting new season of spring fashion with a private cocktail reception. This exclusive event, hosted by Jessica Hoffman, will take place at the GUESS by Marciano store at the Royal Hawaiian Center on Thursday, April 29, 2010 from 7:00 – 9:00 PM. A portion of the evening’s proceeds will go to the Pure Beauty Project, a program under Positive Connections, Inc.
Jessica Hoffman, celebrity makeup artist and hair stylist, beauty journalist, model, and actress, is the perfect fit to host this spring shopping event in style. Jessica started the Pure Beauty Project to educate women on having a positive self image and self worth. Pure Beauty is committed to empowering women through their biannual conferences and events providing leadership building and mentorship opportunities. Pure Beauty Project is a part of Positive Connections, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to motivating local community members to develop positive connections with themselves, family, and others.
“We’re so thrilled to be celebrating another great season of fashion at the Royal Hawaiian Center Store. Honolulu is the ideal location to host this event as it is full of the sophistication and energy that goes hand in hand with the GUESS by Marciano brand,” says Paul Marciano, Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of GUESS?, Inc. “This event not only allows us to showcase the newest collection but also to introduce our customers to the Pure Beauty Project, a phenomenal organization making a difference in the lives of young women, that we are proud to bring attention to.”
Local tastemakers and influentials will enjoy savory hors d'oeuvres and cocktails, while browsing the latest spring must-have styles from GUESS by Marciano’s full line of glamorous, unapologetically sexy clothing, accessories, shoes and handbags. Along with every purchase, shoppers will have the chance to sign up for M Loyalty, the loyalty program from GUESS by Marciano, as well as receive an exclusive gift with purchase including products from GUESS by Marciano, Modern Luxury, philosophy, OPI, Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics, Kiss My Face and many more. Guests will also receive a 20% discount on their purchase when they donate a minimum of $5 Pure Beauty Project.
About GUESS by Marciano
GUESS by Marciano, the first brand extension from GUESS, Inc., follows suit in true GUESS style with apparel and accessories that are on the edge of the fashion forefront. This contemporary runway-inspired collection, designed for the fashion forward woman, is daringly sexy, yet has highly sophisticated style that represents pure glamour in everyday fashion. GUESS by Marciano designs, markets and distributes full collections of women’s apparel as well as accessories. GUESS by Marciano boutiques are located in North America, as well as international metropolitan centers throughout the globe. You can also find the GUESS by Marciano collection in select flagship GUESS store locations, specialty stores, and online at HYPERLINK "http://www.GUESSbyMarciano.com" www.GUESSbyMarciano.com
About Modern Luxury Hawai‘i
Modern Luxury Media, LLC ("Modern Luxury") is the largest publisher of city-regional magazines in the United States, currently publishing magazines across 13 major metro markets including: New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Honolulu, San Diego, Orange County, CA and Napa/Sonoma, CA. Modern Luxury Hawai‘i launched in December 2006, each issue is printed in both English and Japanese. Focused on "luxury lifestyle," including fashion, jewelry, dining, travel, design, automotive, art and architecture, Modern Luxury specifically targets the affluent reader. Founded by brothers Michael and Stephen Kong in 1993 in Chicago. HYPERLINK "http://www.modernluxury.com" www.modernluxury.com
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Sunday, March 7, 2010
My inbox has seen its fair share of emails from inquiring minds wanting to know the ‘secret to my success’. While this is a loaded question and my reply could easily take on the look of a novella - let me make it simple: Here are my 7 recommendations to breaking into the beautiful world of beauty.
1. Be a Beauty Bookworm: Read and collect as much knowledge as you can from books, magazines and online resources. I have 3 ring binders overflowing with inspirational tear sheets (pages from a magazine) of makeup I love, tips and tricks Iuse and products I can’t wait to get my hands on.
2. Practice makes Perfect Makeup: Put your knowledge to the test! Get your brushes on all the pretty faces you can. I would practice on my sisters and friends all the time to increase my confidence and skill. (I still do!) This is possibly the most empowering step. Honestly, you can't practice enough! Never stop learning, never stop playing, never think you know it all, never stop desiring to grow as an artist and as a person!
3. The Bold and the Beautiful: This is a career in which you have to display confidence if you wish to have your clients put their confidence in you. Believe in yourself and in your work! Steps 1 & 2 will get you to step 3! Words of life & inspirational images taped to your mirror at home will help you along this journey. If God has called you to this, he will equip you for this! “One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation.”
4. Gift with Purchase: Immerse yourself in the Beauty Industry. Get a job as a makeup artist or around makeup artists! Learn from doing and also watching. Put yourself in an environment where you can see and do makeup. Sephora and Cosmetic Counters are a great way to begin. You also have the opportunity to own your own cosmetic business; Artisty is a trusted brand that will allow you to start making retail profit right away. In fact, I have a team of makeup artists who are reaping the benefits of working from home and painting faces at the same time! Internships are educational and can be exciting - seeing first hand from seasoned professionals. I have an intern and makeup assistants whom I love having around- not only do they lighten my load, I get to help them jump start their careers too. I started my makeup career at Glamour Shots (a photo studio), then went to a makeup counter (Prescriptives & MAC), all along I was working with photographers and collecting images for my book! Which leads me to my next tip...
5. Testing- 1,2,3... : It is vitally important to work with photographers... and gooooood ones at that! My first fashion photographer I worked with, was celebrity photographer, Dominic Petruzzi (DominicPetruzzi.com) He taught me a wealth of knowledge and continually pushed me to up my game. I’m so thankful for him. That was over 10 years ago, and counting. You’ll be working on TEST shoots to initially build your portfolio. Testing is done when you need pictures to build your portfolio- there is no client- just you, the model and the photographer (possibly Hair and Wardrobe stylists too) Expect to do work for free, especially when first starting out, later you can charge for tests- ‘paid tests’. I started working with modeling agencies, doing hair and makeup for the new models. This helped me create my portfolio, which acts as a visual resume. It gets you work, so work to get it right!
6. Tools of the Trade: Build your kit - you can't do makeup without it! If you can purchase at least one product per week, your kit will grow. Do expect to put some money into it, this is your start up cost for running your own business. Make sure to keep track of everything you do and spend for your resume and taxes. Working in the industry will provide you with discounts. MAC offers a discount too. You'll need a business card and one other proof of work to get a 40% card for MAC. Becoming a rep for Artistry allows you to recieve up to 40% off as well. Email me for more info. Most major cosmetic companies offer an industry discount, you just have to go through corporate and they require tear sheets, credits and agency representation.
7. “Hello World!”: Now that you have the tools, technique and confidence.... let the world know you’re ready to start as a Makeup Artist. Make simple business cards and print them cost effectively online (overnightprints.com or vistaprint.com). Create a ModelMayhem.com page, a Facebook page and twitter. Use the social networks in your favor. Spread the word to family and friends and create a referral incentive (“refer 2 clients to me, recieve a free makeover” for example) Make sure you only upload and use clean, beautiful images to showcase your work. Always have great makeup, hair, styling, l ighting in your pictures, and always use a model or someone equally as photogenic. You have one shot at making a first impression. And finally, make sure you as an artist, have time to pamper yourself and put a little effort into getting ready before a meeting or shoot. Don't leave home without lip gloss and a welcoming smile.... after all, it is your job to put your best face forward.